Thursday 24 October 2013

Black Meadow at the Ryedale Book Festival - Saturday 19th October 2013 - The Mystic Moors



I was very nervous.
We arrived early and set out a stall in the main hall at the fabulous Milton Rooms in Malton.
At about ten to 12 we set up in a black box studio theatre to the side of the hall.
We set the ambiance with the first few tracks of "Tales from the Black Meadow".

I.R. Johnson went first with readings from his fascinating book "The Witcher Keys". He spoke of how he had witnessed the effects of elementals whilst working in this area. I was struck by his vivid descriptions of landscape and atmosphere. I look forward to settling down in the the coming winter months with this book.

Of course by now I was getting even more nervous.

Theresa Tomlinson was next and she read extracts from "A Swarming of Bees" an intriguing and exciting Anglo-Saxon set murder mystery. She and Ian were both charming and excellent in their delivery.

Now it was my turn.

A roomful of strangers and I had dared to write a book set in their home county. 


My mouth was dry and I asked for water. Ana our gracious host and MC obliged.
I thought I'd try smiling which seemed to help.
I spoke of our journey from Whitby to Malton across the misty moor by RAF Fylingdales and how we thought we could see the horsemen dancing and hints of roof and chimney through the mist.
I talked of the tragedies and mysteries of Black Meadow.
I read "Can you tell me Maiden Fair". The audience were silent.
I spoke of the folklore surrounding the disappearance and reappearance of the village.
I performed "The Devil and the Yoked Man", Nigel and Kev providing the voices of The Devil and TheYoked Man from behind the audience.
I finished off with "The Horsemen" which provoked laughter and gasps.


Once it was all over we were asked questions about Black Meadow.
People seemed confused and shocked that they hadn't heard of it before.

Then I sold quite a few books and Kev Oyston sold quite a few CDs too.

A wonderful day.
Malton is a beautiful town and the Ryedale Book Festival a very welcoming and exciting event.

No comments:

Post a Comment